The coupon
Posted on July 5th, 2008 at 1:53 am by Aussie

I was waiting for the bus one morning and I noticed the following posted at the bus stop. It says, “Please take one.”

Please take one

So, I moved closer to see what the offer was. And the little coupons hanging at the bottom were the following.

Coupon

It says, “This coupon entitles you to: One free day to do anything you want. What will it be?”

So,I took one and then I went to the park to relax and enjoy that day’s brilliant sunshine.

Be Sociable, Share!

70 Comments

I dunno, I think it’s cute. It makes you realize just how little we actually take time out for ourselves. Stop and think…I think that’s the point people 😉

Comment by Nathalie — October 16, 2008 @ 11:05 pm

he shoulda went and robbed a bank or something then just walked up to a cop and been like what bitch free day to do whatever cant do nothin!

Comment by dave — March 19, 2009 @ 4:08 pm

Dave, you are missing the point of this post!

Comment by Aussie — March 19, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

Lol @ all the people saying you should take this coupon and rob people/kill people. You guys truly are retarded.

Nice post :o.

Comment by soar — March 20, 2009 @ 6:51 pm

I took one and fucking killed a guy. now I’m in jail. thanks, cardboard coupon

Comment by asdf — March 26, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

@asdf, you need professional help.

Comment by Aussie — March 26, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

@phred et al – that’s a mighty list of woes you have all come up with about why your life is so much harder than everyone else’s. you know what? life is hard. everyone has their struggles. you may look at your own long life of ups and downs and spit on someone else because you think they haven’t suffered enough, but in the end you’re just feeling sorry for yourself and looking for someone to whine to. nobody’s experience on this planet is perfect and rosy. far from it. so instead of playing a game of “who has the most battle scars,” we should be taking what we have learned and using it to try to ease the suffering of others, regardless of their age or your own severely limited and biased view of what they deal with.

to me, the flier speaks more specifically to the cages we put ourselves in. you may wish you could have been a magician or a circus performer. you may wish you could tell that girl you’re in love with her. you may simply want to find a beach, lay down, and get a wicked sunburn while reading your favorite book cover-to-cover. the point is that we encumber and sabotage ourselves from being truly happy. we already know what will make us happy, but it’s up to us to have the courage, romanticism, or sheer bellyfire to shed our (un)comfortable, routine conformities and actually do them.

i think the most touching part of the whole thing is the “Please take one.” please… for crying out loud people, -please- learn to let yourselves enjoy your lives. please. before it’s too late. the whole world would be better for it.

Comment by jp — March 31, 2009 @ 11:24 pm

@phred…i have had quite a few of those things happen to me and am currently dealing with a large pile of all of them (unemployed, kids w/ mom instead of me, selling all my sh!% to pay rent for me and my GF, finding change to feed my dog…etc, etc…) and still finding time to smell the roses and smile…life is only as hard as you make it for yourself…too bogged down to enjoy?…blame yourself…you aren’t a drone….you’re just acting like one…everyone take a deep breath, exhale…and if that doesn’t work….well, there’s always suicide:)

Comment by jbill — April 16, 2009 @ 5:25 pm

Why would you go to the park when there is a perfectly good internet to surf!?

Comment by saxquiz — May 10, 2009 @ 12:32 pm

cool.. im gonna make one of those and put it up

Comment by Jon — June 9, 2009 @ 4:24 pm

wow. i agree with jp. please for crying out loud people.. take one.
and i personally don’t see this whole conversation as a completely negative thing. when you watch and listen to other people do the same things that you do..u realize how silly u actually are when you do it. reminder to self-everyone sees things on different levels. it creates individuality..

Comment by suzy — June 11, 2009 @ 12:41 pm

A day off. Hey I would imagine that this was aimed at ANYONE who is having a rough time, whether it be at work, school, or whatever…I think it’s funny when people get so worked up over trivial stuff. I think that life is a big experiment. Everything that comes at you, you need to look at it as an experiment, on how to deal with stuff. Try new and different ways of dealing, maybe take a day off from taking ourselves so seriously.

Comment by Jezebel — June 13, 2009 @ 9:13 pm

FYI, that idea comes from a book called The Guerilla Art Kit by Keri Smith. If you appreciated the idea, you should look into the book.

Comment by Morgan — June 18, 2009 @ 9:49 am

Really cute idea. : ) I wish I saw some of these around.

Comment by Sarah — June 19, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

this picture and the discussion it spawned are awesome. im just sitting here in my bath with my laptop on a chair and thinking about life. i live my life like this everyday. i have fun, go surf, do whatever makes me happy. some people think im crazy and at 32 i have forgone a career or family or house or the other things that people think that i should have. but on the other hand i try to wake up everyday and try to do what makes me happy. i have had many jobs and i have moved around quite a bit. my love for freedom has cost me stability and i have put myself in situations where i had to ask for help from my family or friends due to my devil may care attitude. im not ridiculously crazy, but when a job seems like more pain then its worth then im not afraid to say “hasta la vista,” or just take a day off decompressing at the beach.

what im trying to say first of all is that the discussion on this thread shows how awesome the interent is and how we can all learn from each other. the other thing im trying to say is it really is great to live your life this way. i live in america and california and to many people around me the dollar is king. they sacrifice everything for money and status and career but they dont seem any happier in the end. then they buy all this shit and have to worry about it getting stolen. i just take my old van and drive down to the beach with the one surfboard i own and surf in the sun and then i go eat a veggie burrito and im on top of the world. simplify your life and enjoy the simple things. life is simple but we want to make is so hard. dont worship money or things or status, they are illusions. the only things that matter are the friends and family you love and the fun times you all have together. life is a fun adventure, try to live it that way.

josh, from the central coast of cal.

Comment by MBSS — June 27, 2009 @ 7:19 pm

Exelent MBSS, I’m reading the discussion to, i would say a couple of things… but you know I don’t manage english very good, I’m from Argentina. Anyways I can say that I captured the idea, I think it goes in a very poetic way you know? the problem here is that the people don’t stop looking for the racional explanation for this… but it’s beautiful, and we all need a break sometimes (but not all of us figure it out) so the paper is a great idea 🙂 very nice. Oh, by the way, I’m 17.

Comment by Melanie — July 1, 2009 @ 1:22 am

nice choice *thumbs up*

Comment by God — July 2, 2009 @ 6:08 pm

The varying opinions here remind me of what Dumbledore tells Harry Potter in the very first book about the Mirror of Erised. He tells Harry that the happiest man in the world will look into the mirror and see himself exactly as he is. The sign is what you make of it. If you didn’t feel that you needed a kick in the seat to take a day for yourself, you’d think the sign was silly or pointless.

Comment by Laurie — July 15, 2009 @ 4:12 am

teenagers have very little power in their lives and neither do adults. the only difference there is financial freedom. it’s all about perceived control. wouldn’t it be nice to just chill on your own terms instead of when the school bell rings or when it comes time to punch your time card? aren’t we all tired of being led around like cattle? good god y’all society sucks ass with a straw. but there’s no right way to do life. even those at the top are controlled by the system. people are just growing increasingly frustrated in the age of industrial reproduction of seeing the same old thing time and again passed off in a new way. we’re beginning to realize that there’s no escaping the system, or the man, as he is a victim as well. freedom is a myth and we’re slowly realizing it. that’s why we put out things like this. just one more way to deny our fate, or to hope for a better tomorrow. individuals rarely have any concept of this but the idea is so deeply ingrained in the collective unconscious by the betrayal from the power we place our trust in that we are unable to be truly content with our paths. we are frustrated by the simple fact that nothing is certain, and no matter how much shit we buy or food we eat or drugs we take we know somewhere within ourselves that the holes in ourselves can never be filled. ain’t life a bitch?

Comment by molotov connoiseur — August 6, 2009 @ 8:14 pm

MAN….I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue!

Comment by chris — September 9, 2009 @ 7:28 pm

Comments RSS

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.